Welcome to my blog. Here you will find the journeys of Ti Gtu and information that I have researched and found useful for maintaining and servicing yachts and motorboats.

I post full information that I find on the Fay Marine information site, accessed through www.faymarine.com/ and I can be emailed at paul@faymarine.com.

At the bottom of the blogs is a 'subscribe' link. After subscribing your web browser will automatically check for any updates that have been posted.

Happy sailing,

Paul Fay

Thursday, 10 June 2021

Sailing after covid.

Ti Gitu has spent the last two years in Emsworth. We did get out for a short while in 2020 but couldn’t go far because of the covid crisis.

We have done lots of little jobs on Ti Gitu so the time hasn’t been a complete waste of time.

In the middle of covid the hospital called Mo and she went in for a knee replacement. How lucky was that when many others are still waiting. The operation has been a complete success, probably because Mo diligently did all the recommended exercises for the previous two years.

We once again wanted to sail to Scotland but it was apparent that many harbours were closed and we thought it wise to wait until we had both been vaccinated. That took us well into the sailing season and it would simply have been a race to get North, not an enjoyable cruise.

So we left Emsworth at the end of May with our friend Mike aboard and went to Newport on the Isle of Wight where we cleaned Ti Gitu’s bottom and met up with an old friend Martin.

Martin gave Mike a lift back to Emsworth for him to travel home and after a few days we left and headed for Keyhaven. This is just behind Hurst castle which protected the Western approach to the Solent and having sailed past several time we wanted to visit the castle.

It is said that Keyhaven isn’t suited to larger boats. They are totally correct!! We arrived with the tide falling and just inside the shingle bank the buoys were missing. Ti Gitu went aground and stuck fast. In the evening it was a real struggle to drive her off the mud and we only just made it before the next high tide.

We won’t be going back and really the castle wasn’t worth all the trouble.

From there we left in thick fog and after clearing the needles had a really good sail to Swanage where we stayed for a few nights.

Then once again left in fog for Portland forgetting to check about Lulworth firing range and so were chased off South by the range patrol boat. Eventually made it into Portland harbour and anchored. The next port we will try will be Lyme Regis as we have never been there but first we have to go round the bill of Portland, hopefully in calm weather when we can take the inshore passage. This is really interesting as you have to go so close you can nearly have a conversation with the tourists on the cliff.


No comments:

Post a Comment