Welcome to my blog. Here you will find the journeys of Ti Gtu and information that I have researched and found useful for maintaining and servicing yachts and motorboats.

I post full information that I find on the Fay Marine information site, accessed through www.faymarine.com/ and I can be emailed at paul@faymarine.com.

At the bottom of the blogs is a 'subscribe' link. After subscribing your web browser will automatically check for any updates that have been posted.

Happy sailing,

Paul Fay

Friday, 18 July 2014

On to Eigg

Yes that is how it is spelt. Eigg is one of the ‘Small Isles’ the others are Muck, Rhum and Canna. After leaving Loch Linnhe we spent nights in Loch Aline and then Loch Droma Buidhe, both beautiful anchorages. We were surprised to see a new marina in Loch Aline.
Ti Gitu then sailed the 25 miles to Eigg. Since our last visit 10 years ago - when the island was deserted as almost everyone had gone to a wedding on Muck - there has been a new ferry terminal built. This has a wall for yachts to go alongside. The harbour totally dries to hard sand so that suits Ti Gitu. As we arrived another yacht was just leaving so we took their place.
That evening there was to be a ceilidh (kylie) and we decided to attend with the crew from another yacht.
Mo has always wanted to go to a ceilidh and was having a great time dancing to the live music when a chap managed to kick her on her calf. Almost immediately something broke in her calf and Mo stopped dancing and was unable to walk.
The yachts crew and locals were all really concerned and helpful. The island now has a ‘first responder’ and there is still a doctor in the island.
We were all given a lift back to the boat by the first responder who also contacted NHS direct for Mo to talk to. Ultimately NHS direct decided to get the doctor to attend and while waiting for him Mo managed - with a lot of help from everyone – to get down the ladder and back on board.
Coming out at midnight the doctor was great and returned the next morning to check things further.
It seems that Mo has a tear in the muscle which will take several weeks to repair so we stayed on Eigg’s yacht wall for a few days while Mo reaches the point of being able to walk again.

No comments:

Post a Comment