Welcome to my blog. Here you will find the journeys of Ti Gtu and information that I have researched and found useful for maintaining and servicing yachts and motorboats.

I post full information that I find on the Fay Marine information site, accessed through www.faymarine.com/ and I can be emailed at paul@faymarine.com.

At the bottom of the blogs is a 'subscribe' link. After subscribing your web browser will automatically check for any updates that have been posted.

Happy sailing,

Paul Fay

Saturday, 29 August 2015

July and August

This has been a great time. The whole area of Finnisterre is incredibly pleasant. After our stay in Launay we went an stayed in the Chateau marina in Brest where we met friends for a mini junk rig rally. Didn't think much of the marina. It is very expensive and the only thing going for it is that it is close to the centre of Brest. There are no services, I couldn't even change a gas cylinder, I had to cycle to the Molin Blank marina which has everything.

From there we sailed round to Morgat for a few days and then down to Douarnenez where we first anchored outside and then passed through the loch into the marina upriver. We had a good time there and cycled round the area.

When we left we again went out to the anchorage for a night before heading back to Morgat. We had already seen one yacht foul it's anchor which should have warned us but we also managed to get fouled. we did manage to free it eventually but would buoy the anchor if going there again.

Back up to Morgat we found that the Atlantic swell was creping round the headland and making us roll so when friends called who were anchored off Camaret in one of my previous yachts we went round there and spent time with them. Only problem was that it was rolly there too so we both entered the Rade De Brest for the next night's sleep.

We decided that we wanted to see more of the area so again went up the Alune river to Port Launay. We had days out taking the train and buses to different places and cycled along the tow path for miles. We ended up staying for three weeks and also did a few jobs on Ti Gitu while there like painting the forward mast. YUK.

Into the first week of August we left Launay and anchored in the SW corner of the Rade De Brest. We went ashore and walked across the peninsula to Camaret then had a taxi bring us back. The whole day out cost less than two nights in Camaret marina which we could see was suffering from the large Atlantic swell. We would have been annoyed if we had paid to stay in the marina and still rolled.

It is now time to start heading North again as we have to be back in the UK for appointments in September and the weather is very unsettled and looks to stay that way so we will have to pick our times to sail.

No comments:

Post a Comment